Mackenzie Hughes has earned a reputation as a leading law firm in representing police departments and officers in civil rights litigation in federal court. During the course of an 18-month period, the firm won dismissals or favorable verdicts in six separate cases on behalf of regional law-enforcement officials.
Mackenzie Hughes is repeatedly the firm of choice for municipalities and public officials when legal issues inevitably arise. Our attorneys provide counsel on all matters relating to the way public officials conduct their business, from litigation, legislation, civil rights and public financing to election law, campaign laws, and ethics.
Our specific experience includes:
- Defending municipalities and officials in federal civil rights cases, with particular experience representing law-enforcement agencies and individual officers
- Litigation of defamation and discrimination claims involving public officials
- Representing public officials in administrative reviews (Article 78 proceedings) in all state courts
- Representing officials at public and legislative hearings and investigations
- Appointment, discipline and removal of public officials
- First Amendment issues
- Serving as legal counsel to political campaigns in both major political parties
- Helping government bodies ensure their elections are conducted legally, ethically and fairly